Sunday, March 10, 2019

3 months in

So I started this journey with YNAB in mid-December. That makes 3 months since I started. It's been a rough 3 months, but I think I have a handle on things. Though I won't let down my guard until it becomes a habit. But I can see and feel things changing in me. I realized how I was looking at things wrong before. Let me explain.

Before I would get paid and I would sit and pay my bills. Then if I had money left over I thought I could just spend it. Then we would be broke until next payday and would start the cycle again. I tried to get a handle on the finances, I really did. But I didn't know how to approach it so I just kept trying to do things the same way but to get different results. It didn't work. But I didn't realize this until I really screwed things up in February. I did the same thing I had always done. Got paid then went freaking crazy because I had some money left over. Well, I went way overboard and ended up in a hole. A very deep hole that took a long time to get out of. When I did get out of it, I swore that I would not do that again. I gave all my dollars jobs and the only ones that had any flexibility were the money in the just for fun fund. Everything else stayed exactly the same and I didn't touch it. I am now coming up on the 2nd paycheck in March and money is still where I put it. I'm very proud of myself and I think I finally understand how things are supposed to work. This has also changed how I view purchases. Today was the Arizona Aloha Festival. In past years, I would have bought a whole bunch of stuff I didn't need for reasons that I can't quite explain. Today we looked at all the places and I had sparks of 'oh, I want that' but I quickly got over most of them. The only thing I was seriously tempted by was a pair of Hawaiian material leggings with pockets on the side. I really like them but they were $40. I didn't like them that much.

So I guess things are going well. I wish I could budget more. It's a lot of hurry up and wait. We get paid, I budget, then I wait until next payday.  So Thursday I get to play around again and pay some more bills. Hopefully I will continue to get this and do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing the mindset

So the hardest part of this whole YNAB thing is changing the mindset. I've mentioned this before but it's really coming up in the la...