Friday, February 15, 2019

Sins of the past


So I started YNAB (You Need a Budget) in mid-December. I had spent months and months trying to budget our money and not doing a great job. Then I stumbled across UnDebtit. This allows you to enter all your debt and helps you figure out a way to pay it off. You have to have some extra income to put towards the debt, but even a little bit will get you out of debt if you have a solid plan. I liked this a whole lot. I like to be able to see what is going where and when it needs to go. They have a calendar that shows when your bills are due. Well, here is a picture of it:



This way I can see when my debt payments are due, when my bills are due, when I get paid, etc. This is what I need so that I can plan ahead and know what is coming. Through this, I found YNAB and decided to try it out. YNAB is very different from any budget type software I have ever used. In YNAB you budget the money you have and not future money. So I got paid on Thursday and am working on budgeting that money only. Now between YNAB and UnDebtit, I have a very clear picture of when money is coming in and when it needs to go out. I will say that in the 2 months I've been using it, I haven't missed a payment so no late fees which is awesome!!!! However, it has also highlighted how recklessly I spend my money. In December, when I started, things were a little tight but we had gotten some bonus money so we made it through okay. The first paycheck in January went well. I paid what I needed to pay and had a little money left over. The 2nd paycheck in January was similar. Then the 3rd paycheck in January hit and I lost it. I kept thinking that we had extra money because of the extra paycheck and so I spent. I ended up spending $780 on 'Stuff I forgot to budget for'  Seriously!!! Well, now I'm paying the price for that. I have bills due in the next 2 weeks and I literally do not have enough money to cover them. That is providing we don't spend anything outside the budget.

Initially, I was very, very angry with myself, and I still am a bit. But I have decided that I need to use this as a learning experience. In January, because things were going so well, I got cocky and thought I didn't need to check the budget/bank account every day. I also thought I could remember everything I bought in my head - that never works. Ever. So things got out of control rather quickly. So now, I am checking the budget/bank account every day and making sure things are on track. I don't have enough money to pay the bills, so I'm having to be creative. But, and this is super important, I will get through this and I will not let it happen again.

My initial plan was to jump in and start paying things off. I had the mortgage set to pay an extra $125 a month. I used UnDebtIt to work out credit card payoff using $800/month extra. And then got crazy when I ran out of money. Hello!!!!  So basically I was committing to almost $1000 a month on top of all our bills. Well, that was destined to fail. Of course, if I hadn't spent $800 on unplanned things, it might have worked for a while. Regardless, the plan now is to take a step back. Every payment is now down at the minimum. I'm going to stay there for a  month or two to just see how our expenses play out. Once I have a true handle on our real month expenses, then I can use that data to figure out how to get us out of debt. I am also building a category in right now to cover unexpected things. I'm putting $25.00 a paycheck in there. That way when things do come up, I will have a little bit of money to cover it. The plan is that unexpected things will come up less and less often as I get a handle on this budgeting thing.

So there we are. That's where I'm at today. Came out guns blazing  and got shot in the foot. Time to rest, recover, and regroup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing the mindset

So the hardest part of this whole YNAB thing is changing the mindset. I've mentioned this before but it's really coming up in the la...