Saturday, February 23, 2019

On being broke.....


So we had no money. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Zip. I was juggling when to pay what bill so that I didn't overdraw the checking account. I hate, hate, hate paying NSF fees, that is literally throwing your money out the window. Anyway, I paid the Internet on the day it was due and the electric on the day it was due (thank God for online payments) and was trying to decide when to pay the water and the gas. We had to take the car in for service yesterday and wanted to go to Red Robin's while we waited. I had some cash and said we could not eat more than the cash we had. So we had a beer, some onion rings, and some wings. Came to $30 and that was good. Then the car needed some small repairs which we had to put on the credit card. We knew we had to run to Costco today because the dogs are out of food, Hubby has money put away to cover that. When we finally got home yesterday afternoon, I sat down to check the budget - something I do every day now - and discovered that Hubby's tax check had hit. Woo Hoo!!!!!   That's means we have slightly more the penny shown above to get through the week. Now comes the hard part of how to use it the best possible way. It is extra money and as such, I don't want to use it on just regular things. But, since we were so broke, this can be used to help us get right again.  As I stated in the last post, I was running out of the dog's pills, the CBD oil, and I ran out of the tablets to clean my night guard (gross). So I could use this to restock everything and then when we get paid next week money won't have to go towards that stuff. I guess that makes the most sense. I want to be in a stable financial position and using this money to get caught up on things would be the best way to do that. We will be getting mine also and I'm assuming that will be soon, so we can use that and what is left of Hubby's to do some buffering or debt paydown. Okay, that makes the most sense. Then when payday hits next week, I don't really have anything to use the money for, just the mortgage. Okay, talked myself through that little nightmare. I have goals. I want to progress towards those goals. Sometimes I have to consider that actually taking 1 step back will create greater forward momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing the mindset

So the hardest part of this whole YNAB thing is changing the mindset. I've mentioned this before but it's really coming up in the la...