Sunday, February 24, 2019

Goals and how to get there

I have very solid, specific goals that I want to achieve in the next few years. First, I want a house with some land. I would prefer if it's not in an HOA but even that part is negotiable. But I want some land. I would like an acre but will settle for 1/2 an acre. It has to have a pool, that is not negotiable. Then I want to get myself a car. I'm really leaning towards a Jeep because I've always wanted one, but I might change that. But we only have 1 car. We've only had 1 car for 3 years. And while 90% of the time it is fine, sometimes I just want to have my own wheels and be able to go where and when I want. I'm also becoming enamored of a cabin in the mountains. I would love a small place where we could escape for the weekends. Nothing fancy, just a small place on a little bit of land. Somewhere we could walk and do things with the dogs. I also want to travel, but that is becoming less and less important and I'm not sure why.

So I have all these goals and I want to start working on them. But I can't. Until I get a really good grip on our finances, I have to just kind of go with the flow. It's bugging me. I want to do something to make progress to move forward towards my goals. But I have to be patient because I saw what happens when I do things without proper planning. So it is one step at a time of me, but I'm not really a patient person.

With Hubby's tax refund, we went to Costco and stocked up on all the things we were short of. We like to go to Costco during the weeks we get paid and somehow we had gotten off track from that. So we bought enough things to last 3 weeks so we will be back on our payday cycle for Costco. The funny thing is I knew exactly what we were doing. I thought it out carefully and realized it was the best way to go long term. But still going through Costco and buying all that stuff was nerve-wracking. When the total came up as $302 I almost fainted.  Now, pre-YNAB I never would have thought twice about that. I would have said, it's fine. We had the money to cover it in the bank and Hubby's tax refund will clear on Monday so it's all good. But now, knowing in such detail our financial situation and my goals and such, I was sweating it. I guess that's a good thing. Being nervous about spending money, even if we have it, is a good thing. I spent far too long not caring about spending money. Definitely time for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing the mindset

So the hardest part of this whole YNAB thing is changing the mindset. I've mentioned this before but it's really coming up in the la...