Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Changing the mindset

So the hardest part of this whole YNAB thing is changing the mindset. I've mentioned this before but it's really coming up in the last few days and I feel the need to talk it out. So it is just so hard to come to terms with 'being broke' when there is money in the account. For that matter, it's hard to come to terms with the budget when it doesn't seem to match with the bank accounts. Let me explain:

Here is what my budget looks like:

This is just a piece of my budget. Notice the various categories I have, like Kindle Unlimited, HP Ink, and Bulwark. Notice also that some are orange, some are green, and some are red. The green means that I have money put aside for this bill but haven't spent it yet. The orange means that I have a bill coming up but haven't put any money aside for it. The red means that I spent money that I haven't budgeted for. So the medical and the stuff for school have not been budgeted for so they will show up in red until I 'cover' them from somewhere. The grey means that I have budgeted for it and spent it ao it's all good. The disconnect in my head happens because of this. I have not budgeted that money, but I have the money in my account to cover it.  I know logically that I have given some money other jobs and that is why I don't have the budget to cover this, but it just is not completely clicking in my head. The real problem is that I won't ever completely buy into this until it clicks in my head. Once I can wrap my mind around exactly what is happening, then I truly will be all in. Right now, I'm going through the motions but not completely buying into this. I need some lightning bolt to hit me and make everything crystal clear. And now as I'm typing this it is starting to make more sense. I don't have the 'budget' to cover this payment and the only way I can cover it is to move money that I have set aside for something else. So it's like virtual envelopes. I put some money in the car insurance envelope but may need to take it because I don't have enough in the medical envelope. Oh my god, I think I'm getting it.

This is just like what we do every payday. We pull out $300 in cash and split it up into envelopes. Groceries get $200, Charlie gets $60, and I get $40. That's what we have until next payday. If the grocery money runs short, then Charlie will take some of his own money to cover it. So we don't look at the total amount we have, $300, we look at what is available in each envelope. So if I have $40, I can spend $40 but if I only have $20, that's all I have. OMG!!! I feel like such an idiot. It took me so long to get this. So now I have to move things around between 'envelopes' to cover this and then I will have to refill the envelopes tomorrow when we get paid. Okay, so if I'm going to pay something that I don't have an envelope for, I need to move the money from one of the other envelopes to cover it. I then have to make sure to refill that envelope when I get more money. Okay, I can live with this now - I think. Sometimes I just have to 'talk' it through to really get it in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing the mindset

So the hardest part of this whole YNAB thing is changing the mindset. I've mentioned this before but it's really coming up in the la...