Friday, March 22, 2019

The road is never straight


While this is true for many, if not most, things in life, it is especially true for me trying to get financially right. I started off with, I'm going to pay $800 a month towards my debt and get out of debt in 16 months. Then it became, I'm going to pay $100 a month and not create any more debt and get out of debt in 2 years. Now it's like, I'm just trying to keep my head above water here......

It's been a rough couple of months since I started YNAB and while I know it's not YNAB's fault, I can't help but wonder what it would be like if I hadn't started YNAB. So let's recap:

December - started YNAB mid-December with the goal of paying off all debt in about 16 months
January - went well with YNAB, realized that debt payment was too aggressive and needed to scale it back a bit.
February - the wheels came off the bus. I overspent significantly and spent the rest of the month trying to recover.
March - some bills came due that while not unexpected, I didn't really have the money to cover and now we are really, really tight.

This experience can't help but make me wonder a couple of things. First, are we living beyond our means? Do we need to scale back in some areas, somehow? Second, is my spending that out of control that I throw the budget out of whack every month? Third, when will I get a true handle on our budget and have things covered as they need to be covered?

I was thinking about contacting Sprint and seeing if there is any way to cut our bill there. That bill is $225 a month.  If I could get that below $200 I would be excited.

I just got off a chat with Sprint and was successful. I got my bill below $200 so that's all good. I now have to pay for Hulu again, but I'm good with that. I also just changed my Sling subscription since football is over there is no need for the Sports Extra package anymore. So I'm down about $50 a month so far. Yay me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Changing the mindset

So the hardest part of this whole YNAB thing is changing the mindset. I've mentioned this before but it's really coming up in the la...